County Museum Dundalk is a museum located in Dundalk and documents the history of County Louth. The museum is housed in the Carroll Centre at Roden Place in Jocelyn Street, in a restored 18th century warehouse which was once part of Dundalk Distillery.
The strength of the Museum resides in its collection. Chronicling the historical development of County Louth from the Stone Age up to the present, the Museum, through a combination of artefacts and computer interactives, presents this story over three galleries of permanent exhibition. It also offers an extensive programme of temporary displays, drama presentations, music recitals, lecture and film.
The Museum collection comprises over 70,000 objects ranging from the proverbial (Viking) needle to an anchor. Among the highlights are:
- A magnificent three-wheeled, heinkel motor car made in Dundalk in the late 1950s;
- the first Olympic Medal won by an Irishwoman (a Bronze won by Ardee’s Beatrice Hill-Lowe in archery in the 1908 Games in London);
- Oliver Cromwell’s shaving mirror;
- a leather jacket or jerkin worn by King William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne
- items collected by Sir Francis Leopold McClintock, discoverer of the fate of Franklin and one of Ireland’s greatest explorers.
- a multi-award winning exhibition marking the industrial and engineering history of county Louth
- the magnificent Coulter poppy.